Happy Mind = Happy Life
Having a positive mindset is something that needs to be cultivated. One of the most effective tools in cultivating this is through a gratitude practice.
The more that we focus our mind on all that we have in our lives, the more it seems like we have to be grateful for. Gratitude can change your perspective on your life, which is key to living with greater happiness and satisfaction.
Science shows that gratitude has the following benefits:
- It can act as a natural mood booster and antidepressant because as we ask ourselves what we are grateful for, our brain produces more of the “feel good” chemicals, dopamine and serotonin;
- It is linked to leading to other positive emotions including contentment, happiness, pride and hope;
- It gives you a stronger immune system;
- It lowers your blood pressure;
- It strengthens social bonds and friendships, making those who practice it feel more loved and cared for by others;
- It improves sleep quality;
- It can make you a better in maintaining a relationship. Those who express gratitude to their partners were better able and more likely to work through difficulties in the relationship.
Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life by training us to us to become more present to our experiences. It illuminates all of the incredible, tiny elements moments that weave together to comprise our own unique tapestry of our life.
If you are ready to get started, I recommend the following:
- Write it down: Consider specific moments that made you happy recently, or things that keep you feeling safe, connected, and inspired.
- Be consistent: neuroplasticity teaches us that our brains are able to rewire its neural pathways. The more that you practice gratitude, the stronger the circuitry of your brain that feels grateful will become, and therefore the more it will activate.
- Share it: even if your practice starts privately, try expressing gratitude to those people who you feel grateful for.
Catie Fenn is an ex-lawyer turned life coach, spiritual teacher, and empowerment speaker. She leads transformational retreats in Costa Rica, Tulum, and Muskoka designed to take individuals on a deep journey to transform their lives from the inside out, as well as the Circle, a women’s gathering to help women connect with their inner wisdom and power.
@catiefenn – Catie Fenn IG